1. Buy clothes that fit. Don’t wear anything that makes bulges or rolls stick out.
2. Don’t be in a size illusion – if you are size 16 don’t pretend you’re a 14. Own your size! In certain makes and styles you might even be a size bigger – forget the number ensure the fit is right.
3. Try clothes while sitting down. Most of the day at work is spent sitting down – this is when all kinds of things happen that normally won’t standing up. The skirt hemline rises too high up, rolls protrude from the side, shirts bulge open.
4. Apply vertical colour dressing. Create the illusion of vertical length by dressing in a single color or shades of from head to toe. One color will help to de-emphasize problem areas by elongating your silhouette. E.g. outer vertical line colour – a solid colour jacket left open, paired with pants of the same colour or inside vertical line – a top and matching colour bottom with contrast colour jacket.
5. Beware light & bright- these colours will enlarge a particular area. If you are larger from the waist down select your dark colours to be placed at the bottom – lighter colours on top.
6. Get Vertical. Making use of vertical line & design in clothing will create the illusion of a slimmer you.
• You can visually slim down by 10 kg’s (22 lb’s) with every vertical line you make use of.
• The most effective vertical line is one that will divide an area of your body in 2 equal halves e.g. a crease down the center of a pair of pants, a row of buttons, a zipper, a seam.
• Select vertical patterns and prints
• Fluid fabrics that skim curves rather than stretch or heavy fabrics.
• To help elongate the neck, wear tops with an open neckline such as v-necks.
7. Keep it high. Wear a high eye catching accessory, hair do or collar detail. Wearing something high on the body, draws the eye upwards, this ensures the illusion of height and slimness.
8. Wear the right underwear. Buy a body sculptor- sucks everything in and makes you look kg’s slimmer. Get your bra measured – the correct fitted bra can make you look thinner.
9. Discover your personal style and display it with confidence! The key to selecting a great outfit is knowing what your style is.
10. Wear heels.
• Wearing at least a 1″ / 5cm heel helps to elongate your legs making you look slimmer.
• Stay away from thick soles and platforms if you have heavy lower leg rather go for a medium to thin sole that will create a more flattering and balanced effect.
• If you want to make your legs look slim buy a shoe with a longer length toe end. A square or round short toe end will make your leg appear shorter and chunkier. A longer rounder toe (it does not have to be pointy) will make the leg appear slimmer.
11. Carry the right bag size. A petite handbag will make your figure appear larger. For plus-size figures a larger structured or boxy bag will balance out the curves.
• Take care with the strap length. Where you end your bag will accentuate that feature, ending a bag on your hip will emphasize them. Safest bet is to nestle your bag into your waist.
Just because there is more of you it does not mean you need to hide under dull, baggy clothes! Remember BIG on BIG = BIGGER.
I encourage you to have the confidence to show off your curvy figure with new style and flair.